Wolves History

Wolverhampton Speedway 1930

Speedway reopened for business on April 1 1930 in front of another big crowd. Although the lighting was poor, gramophone records were played for the first time! Harry Taft won both the scratch race and the Monmore Handicap.

On April 8 J Deeley broke the track record in a time of 83.4 seconds. Lew Lancaster was taken to hospital with concussion whilst Australian Cecil Walker smashed one of the lamp standards in the most sensational crash seen at the track yet.

‘Smiling’ Jim Kempster took on Les Blakeborough in a match race on April 15 and won 2-1. Another famous name, Jack Parker’s brother Norman, won both the handicap and scratch races in a meeting marred by a crash to Reg Hutchins in which the local lad broke his toe.

Jack Parker took on Syd Jackson of Leicester on April 22 and won after a neck-and-neck struggle in which the track record was lowered to 81.8 seconds. George Allbrook won the Monmore Cup.

On April 29 the famous Vic Huxley appeared at the stadium, although he was defeated by Billy Dallison who lowered the track record to 80.2 seconds. The two riders then captained teams made up of various riders, with Huxley’s team beating Dallison’s by 28-25.

On May 6, Hall Green were due to take on the Wolverhampton team but I can find no report of this meeting. Perhaps it was rained off.

Frank Arthur (Stamford Bridge and Australia) and Squib Burton (Leicester) rode at Monmore Green on May 13, although Jack Parker was missing after losing parts of two fingers whilst repairing his car. Burton beat the Aussie comfortably, winning the second leg in the fast time of 80.8 seconds. He also looked set to win the handicap race but stopped when his front tyre came off!

Tom Farndon met Norman Parker on May 20 and won 2-1 after a last-bend pass in the deciding heat. Farndon also won the scratch race with Terry Coffey winning the handicap and Hutchins the Monmore Cup.

Saturday afternoon speedway returned to the stadium on June 1. 24 year-old local rider Norman Pitts claimed several notable scalps in winning the scratch race before falling and being taken to hospital after severing an artery in his wrist.

On June 8 a poor crowd prompted the promoters to announce that Saturday afternoon meetings were to be discontinued. The main attraction appeared to be a donkey race won in a time of over seven minutes! Jimmy Gent won the Flying Six race.

Admission prices were reduced for the meeting on June 24, with speedway back on Tuesday evenings. The track was poor with clouds of dust appearing in every race. Billy Dallison won both the handicap and scratch race finals.

Sadly, this was the last meeting at Monmore Green in 1930, the cancellation of speedway being attributed to poor crowds. The next time the sport was seen at Monmore Green was a one-off challenge meeting in 1950.

However.....I have finally managed to get my hands on a programme for this meeting in which it states that this is the first meeting at the track for 16 years. I have trawled through various old newspapers for news of 1934 meetings but have failed dismally. Can anyone help me?

Mark Sawbridge

NB. For more information on any of the meetings staged at Monmore Green between 1928 and 1930, please contact me at:

Flat 5, Malcolm Court, Lower Vauxhall, Wolverhampton, WV1 4SS. (01902) 713950
e-mail: m_sawbridge@hotmail.com